Review the feedback from Three customers relating to the Three App and design ways to make improvements to the existing user experience.
Working on two major improvements to the Three app, I was able to help implement these changes. I ran moderated remote user testing that investigated our existing journeys and helped me to understand and identify key areas of the journey that needed improvement. I then worked in tandem with a fellow UXer to create strong wireframes that I converted into high-fidelity interactive prototypes. Using these, we were able to run tests to further explore our theory.
When we analysed feedback from our customers, the findings also tallied with our call centre and in-store customer feedback, and this informed our design work.
Our research demonstrated the following two main things customers wanted from the Three app:
Itemised usage to allow them to see extra charges and their causes
Historic usage of allowance is an often-requested feature, asked for mainly by retail staff in Three stores.
The previous app journey had users downloading PDFs of each bill and writing down their usage month by month. On iOS platforms, users were unable to download the PDF, meaning they couldn’t access their historic usage.
To combat this, we added usage data from the Usage tab on the home screen of the app. This gives customers key information at a glance. Within the first 17 days, 22% of iOS users (162,000 people) and 12% of Android users (68,000 people) had used the new pages.
The app rating on the Apple App Store increased from 4* to 4.5*. We also received a variety of positive reviews, such as the one below:
“The wait is over! A brilliant addition to the Three App” #HistoricDataUsage”.
Enhanced Digital Billing
We then worked on Enhanced Digital Billing (EDB), to allow billing data to be displayed natively in the Three app. Based on customer research, we knew that seeing how extra charges have been incurred is one of the most important things customers are looking for.
Initially, we created the ‘Summary’ screen, which allowed customers to see an overview of their charges and access a PDF bill for full details.
We then progressed to the second phase of design work, which enabled customers to further explore their charges to see what had caused them.
In the final phase, we implemented a fully itemised, sortable breakdown of charges.
The reason for these phases was to give us a stronger understanding of all possible scenarios and to create strong, useful test cases for each step moving forward.
During this project, I worked closely with the Billing team at Three, making sure we adhered to the relevant legal compliance required. We were therefore able to ensure we were showing the correct information in a way that’s easy to understand for our customers.
One of the core challenges for this project was getting the right documentation to give us a complete view of our use cases, and what can appear on a customer’s bill.
Equally, thorough internal testing was incredibly challenging and made nearly impossible due to the number of permutations and legacy plans that existed. However, we were able to reduce the risk of this lack of testing by releasing to a beta community first. The feedback we received and the data we gathered about how customers used the new information helped support our findings and demonstrated the usefulness of the changes.